Instructions on using a Fire Blanket
- Switch off the hob if it's safe to do so.
- Go to the fire blanket and pull the two cords
- Hold the blanket with both hands from one edge to another. Try and fold the corners over your hands so they are protected.
- 4. Carefully place the blanket over the hob or pan.
- Walk away and let the fire or smoke be smothered. Don't be tempted to take a peek in the pan just yet. Let it cool down for a while.
- If the fire or smoke isn't controlled, don't try to adjust the blanket. Call the emergency services straight away.
You should use a fire blanket in situations involving flammable cooking materials. Also, use them when fabric or clothing has caught fire.
They are suitable for small household fires that you can contain without a fire extinguisher. While they are straightforward to use, there are a few pointers to take on board to ensure you stay safe.
What is a fire blanket used for?
You can use them to put a stop to fires on burning pots and chip pans. Some people buy them during the summer seasons to put out potential fires on barbecues.
You can use the larger variant to wrap around a body. This will help to:
- act as a body wrap if you need to escape larger flames.
- extinguish any flames already on a body.
What are typical fire blanket materials?
Fire blankets are made of fire-resistant materials. They are particularly useful for smothering fat pan fires or for wrapping around a person whose clothing is on fire. Fire blankets conforming to British Standards BSEN1869: 1997 are suitable for use in the home.
When you are looking to buy a fire blanket, please ensure that you look for items conforming to British Standards BSEN1869: 1997. These are adequate to be used in your home.
** Please Note ** We have seen some fire blankets listed on eBay, but not all of them have the mark listed above. The product needs to have the above for it to meet British Standards. If the vendor on eBay hasn't indicated this, then you should contact them for proof.
Not all fire blankets can be used more than once. The box should indicate whether the fire blanket is for a single use or multi use.
Where to place a fire blanket
Where do you place the fire blanket? At what height should you install it? We answer these below:
- Keep the fire blanket somewhere in the kitchen within easy reach for young adults.
- Do not place it too close to your hob. You want it to be at a distance away so you can reach for it.
- Place the fire blanket next to a designated escape route. It may come in useful should you need to exit the property.
How to stop a chip pan fire
To read more articles like this one, please click here.